The main function of the Project Management Office (PMO) is the organization, scheduling, and daily maintenance of our client’s projects, these include the following:
- Establishing project scope.
- Estimating needed resources.
- Creating project schedules and milestones.
- Creating project specs and other documentation.
- Managing project resources.
- Budget analysis and control.
- Managing project risk, and preventing cost overruns.
The successful PMO performs these core activities related to the project Implementation:
|Detail of Role||PMO|
|Responsibility||Responsible for no particular projects, or directly responsible for many projects, but not just one project.|
|Duration||An ongoing business activity.|
|Reporting||Collects and delivers project information about all projects in an organization, to executives and stakeholders.|
|Assistance||Provides support, guidance and direction to functional units.|
|Strategic Alignment||Ensures that all projects follow standards mandated by executives and are inline with client’s strategic objectives.|
1. Planning for overall project execution
- Evaluation of project execution strategies, assessment of risks, and development of approaches to minimize adverse risks.
- Development of critical issues associated with the project.
- Development of staffing plans for all project phases and work locations.
2. Validating cost estimates and control tools
- Objective and detailed appraisal of capital cost estimates for methodology and completeness.
- Scoping and assessment of project cost control organization and systems for responsiveness.
3. Ensuring constructability of the facility
- Develop and implement a structured program to apply comprehensive Project Management knowledge and experience from design development through project implementation.
4. Strengthening contracting services
- Development of contracting strategies for the overall project and each major job, with appropriate commercial approaches for each anticipated contract.
- Assistance for owner’s legal and project functions in preparing bid documents to get targeted results.
- Assistance with screening of potential bidders, identification of qualified bidders, and determination of a bidding slate for each job.
- Assistance with planning for an administration of the bidding process, review of proposals, and penetration of an award recommendation for each contract.
5. Supporting project procurement
- Definition and documentation of responsibility splits and interfaces between the owner and contractor(s).
- Development of a comprehensive purchasing plan, including expediting, shop inspection, and related activities as well as cost-effective procurement of low-value items.
- Development of a logistics plan appropriate to project size, complexity, and location, including packing and shipping, export/import considerations, receiving and temporary storage.
6. Making Independent Project Reviews
- Conduct planned, in-depth, quick-response appraisals of project performance at key milestones to give owner’s management an unbiased picture of strengths and weaknesses of the project.
7. Emphasizing PM planning and safety
- Implement comprehensive planning of the entire process to provide basis for safe and effective worksite activities.
- Perform specialized Safety Execution Planning, to provide specific worksite safety programs in appropriate depth and breadth to meet owner’s safety goals.
8. Staffing the Owner’s Project Team
- Filling Project Manager and other PM Team leadership positions.
- Filling PM Team gaps to meet functional or time requirements.
- Fielding a complete PM Team.
Here are a few examples of assignments in project management services that we have successfully completed:
- Evaluate project execution strategies, assessment of risks, and development of approaches to minimize adverse risks.
- Develop staffing plans for all project phases and work locations.
- Make objective and detailed appraisal of capital cost estimates for methodology and completeness.
- Scope and assess project cost control organization and systems for responsiveness through all project phases.
- Assist owner’s legal and project functions in preparing bid documents to get targeted execution results.